Myrtle Beach ElectricianThis is the time of year when we change our clocks back to “normal” time.  It is also a good reminder to check the batteries in your smoke detectors.  If you have a CO detector, you will also want to change that battery.  A CO detector can save your life, but only if it is working properly.

Did you know that every year hundreds of people have been killed by Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning?  This is cited by the Consumer Product Safety Commission.  These incidents are caused by incidents not related to the fire that is usually associated with various consumer products.  What you may not know is that this is the most type of fatal poisoning in the US.

What is Carbon Monoxide Poisoning?

This is a chemical that is commercially imported and it has many reactions.  It is often referred to as the silent killer because it is tasteless, colorless, odorless and very toxic gas.  The combustion of fossil fuels such as coal, oil, wood and sometimes petroleum products causes deadly gas to be emitted.  The fumes are from engines, oil burners, gas fireplaces, water heaters, and even open fires.  What causes CO is the decomposition of some of these organic materials.

What Causes Carbon Monoxide to Become Dangerous?

In most cases, it is the result of poor installation, a damaged appliance or poor maintenance.  This causes the fuel to not burn as it should and give off CO.  Another cause of poisoning is poor ventilation which makes it impossible for the gases to escape.


Dr. Kausik Kar, MD, the medical director of the Hyperbaric Unit at Westchester Medical Center has this to say:

“This particular type of gas can produce a wide range of effects on people exposed to concentrations as low as 50 parts per million.  Symptoms may range from mild headaches and dizziness to more serious symptoms including nausea, lethargy and even convulsions.  Unfortunately many times the more mild symptoms are often attributed to illnesses such as the flu and left untreated, resulting in more serious complications and even death.  If you believe you have a CO leak in your home or that you are suffering from the effects of CO poisoning, leave your home immediately and call 911.”

The people most susceptible to CO poisoning are those with respiratory or heart problems, and small children – especially infants and the unborn.  These family members will be the first to show the symptoms.

If you have a fireplace or wood burning stove, you will want to call Myrtle Beach Electrician Pros and have a CO detector installed.  This detector can be linked to your smoke detectors and work to save you and your family from harm.

You will also want to check your heating and air systems, plumbing, and other gas-powered appliances such as a gas stove.  Check with Myrtle Beach Home Services for service providers that can help you maintain these systems.


On February 22, 2010, Amanda’s Law went into effect in New York State.   Amanda’s law requires existing one and two-family residences to have at least one CO alarm installed on the lowest floor of the building having a sleeping area.  Additionally, the law requires all new home construction to have CO alarms hardwired into the electrical system.  Check with your local municipality to see if there is a similar CO law in your area.

Myrtle Beach Electrician Pros wants your family to be safe. Call us today to see how affordable a carbon monoxide detector can be.

Myrtle Beach Electrician Pros
Myrtle Beach, SC  29577

Serving: SocasteeSurfside BeachConwayCarolina ForestMyrtle Beach

Seraphinite AcceleratorOptimized by Seraphinite Accelerator
Turns on site high speed to be attractive for people and search engines.